Thursday, September 14, 2023

The Rarity of Generosity

 I am part of a Whatsapp group that is filled with high-achievers. All of them are highly educated. Many are probably multi-millionaires. And yet, it is filled with the pettiest bickering of all the groups I belong to. Silly arguments. People trying to prove they are right, and even more vehemently, that someone else is wrong. People unwilling to revise their opinions even when shown adequate evidence that contradicts their ideas. People conducting themselves in ways that are far from dignified. 


You would think that surely, smart people should be sensible . I see ample daily evidence to the contrary :). 


I've always been a pretty balanced person, and always thought it was not a big deal. I have also been often told that I am a good listener, and always thought it was not a big deal. Maybe  it is not a big deal, but I'm beginning to feel that it is a bigger deal than what I thought :) 


Ten years ago, if you had asked me what I thought was the trait I admire the most, I would have said " Generosity of Spirit". If you were to ask me the same question today, I would give the same answer, with even more conviction. 


I feel like I should create a community of people with 4 traits - Intelligence, Genuineness, Generosity of Spirit, and an inclination to keep learning, growing and exploring. A community where people feel happy for other people's successes. A community that restores our faith in humanity, and wipes off the dust that we accumulate by being forced to deal with petty jackasses.  A community without a "holier-than-thou" attitude. I don't mind if we have just 5 members in the community. A thought on the top of my head, that I just had to put down.... 


Here is something to consider- If you admire someone or something they did, do you find it easy to express that in the form of a compliment ? If you are not the sort to go around complimenting others even when when you witness something special, fair enough - Are you equally reluctant to criticize others when they do something you aren't happy with ? 

Compliment more than you criticize. If you find that hard to do, you probably need to change your attitude, or surround yourself with more awesomeness in some way.. 



No comments: