Friday, June 03, 2016

Random Thoughts

  •   My creativity in coming up with post titles hasn't improved one bit..
  • I have an official announcement to make. I have completely stopped watching news on the TV. For last several months. This leaves me occasionally clueless in tea-time conversations, but really, that's a very small price to pay for all the benefits you get.
  • Every person who has achieved something of significance in their life has at some point, mastered a few skills - the forces that hold one back , the fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of success, not caring what others think, overcoming negative self-talk.. I decided that I want to learn everything I could about each of these.And about courage and boldness.                         
As they say, 'once the student is ready, the teacher will appear'.  I made it my immediate mission in life to learn and apply this stuff. I really stuck with it, and learned many many concrete techniques that go much beyond the simplistic advice of 'Just do it' .

This blog is perhaps not the best place to discuss these topics, and it would be a really long story, but I can assure you - I truly believe that undertaking this endeavour has been one of the most fulfilling and worthwhile things I've done, and am doing in my life.. I am still very much in the process, the  difference, being my belief that I now know the path to get there..

Many smart people I know make one of the two following mistakes . I know I have made both in the past ( despite not being smart:)

1) Trivializing this stuff
2) Getting the insight about this stuff, but not applying it in their lives..

 Also, the sub-conscious doesn't quite work in 'logical' ways which is also the reason that some of the strategies are also not necessary logical, nor can you explain them intellectually. This dissuades several smart people, who are looking for solutions that 'make sense' to them.

Anyhow, I will just leave you guys with a little teaser. There are 6 human needs, but there are two that are most important in this context.. 'The need for certainty' and 'The need for significance'. The need for certainty is what pushes us to stay in the comfort zone. The need for significance is a bit more interesting, and more sneaky. One question we need to ask ourselves is ' Where am I getting my need for significance from ? Is it from a talent of mine ? Is it from being a good spouse/friend ? Is it from doing my job well ? Or is it from the believing that I have the biggest problem in the world that no one can solve ? "

No comments: