Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Vacation, Art and books and talks

  • We finally did a long pending trip to Kerala - Munnar, Kumarakom, Allepey , Kochi. It's amazing what a vacation can do to our mood :) 
  • One of the places we stayed in had organized a kite flying activity . I had so much flying a kite. ! My kite demonstrated a tendency to nose dive every few minutes, but I adroitly rescued it every single time ( to my surprise :) 
  • We witnessed a phenomenal Kalaripayattu performance in Munnar. This is my first time watching Kalaripayattu from close quarters and I was very very impressed. 
  • We also witnessed a truly incredible Kathakali performance at the Kerala Kathakali Centre, Kochi. What impressed me most about the performance was the singing performance of the narrator - An elderly gentleman absolutely devoted to his craft. He was just as good as any singer I have heard in my life - He sang with such devotion to his craft, that I was deeply inspired ... I had a short conversation with him, and he said that he had no interest in doing any commercial recordings, and that he wanted to focus purely on his craft. There are so many hidden talents ...
  • I was invited to give a book review talk at a club in the US. My talk was recorded and posted on youtube. So yes, I am finally on youtube, for reasons other than music :) People told me I should  consider becoming a professional book-reviewer :) I was humbled, but that's not really my cup of tea.
  • I have been conducting keyboard sessions in my apartment complex every 2 weeks for young kids. I enjoy working with kids. It's amazing how quickly they learn once you make them feel safe, encourage them, and then challenge them.  I am very careful in ensuring that the atmosphere is absolutely non-competitive, and am figuring out how to promote the camaraderie between the kids. My son often attends these sessions, but does his own thing - some colouring or craft activity, but I am happy he is sitting in a room full of music. and hopefully he will participate in it just like others soon.  For now, I just want him to soak in the atmosphere, enjoy it and hopefully learn to like it :)  

No comments: