Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Thoughts...

If you haven't heard of the 'Regrets of the dying', go check out this.

Speaking of regrets, a question that's been occupying my mind of late is  - "How do I go about parenting so that I eventually don't have any regrets ?" And the answer is crystal clear in my mind - The only thing I really really want to instil in my child is a great attitude - while dealing with all kinds of situations and people. With a great attitude, anything is possible.

From my personal experience, I find that the best way to improve one's attitude is to surround oneself with people who have a great attitude. And I have undoubtedly benefited from applying this advice in my own life. And I continue to improve my attitude as I uncover more prejudices and biases in me with each passing year.

Which bring me to my $ 10,000 Personal development tip ' Surround yourself with people you want to be more like'.

If that seems too simple, here is some more explanation - One of the things that predicts whether or not we succeed in achieving a goal is the 'Future Identity' - i.e. "Can we see ourselves as becoming the person who can accomplish that goal ?". As an example, say I am planning to write a book. If I can't ever imagine myself completing the book, or calling myself a writer, I won't even get started. ( I know this feeling well :) . And surrounding ourselves with people we want to be more like strengthens the future identity ( An obvious example is surrounding oneself with supportive and encouraging writers when one wants to become a writer).

Which bring me to the second tip, incidentally also worth $ 10000 :D - ' Don't just admire people/qualities from a distance. Instead strive to be more like them'. If you admire someone or some particular quality in them, it often means that there is something (possibly hitherto unexpressed) within you that resonates with what you see. That's your future identity calling to you, and it's time to answer that call. 

2 comments:

Vidya said...

Nice style of writing!

Karthik said...

Thanks :)