Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Power of One

"Your lack of dedication is an insult to those who believe in you"
-Source unknown

One insight or episode can change our life. I know this too well from my own life.

I remember the one thing which led me from being self-absorbed to being less self-absorbed. The one insight which led me from being irresponsible to being less irresponsible ( My wife has trouble believing that I was ever irresponsible, but of course I was. She has no trouble though observing that I procrastinate and of course she's right;) Procrastination is indeed one of my 3 big nemeses ).

I truly believe in the power of one; albeit the 'right' one.  After all we must be in a place in life and mind where we are truly receptive to such a life-changing insight/episode, and must also choose to act on the epiphany.

Anyhow, what if I told you there was one question that could raise your level of motivation and commitment, which will get you out of self-absorption and existential angst, which will raise your level of happiness and fulfillment, and which will dramatically improve your relationships, should you choose to reflect and act on the answer to the question ?

Let me stop before this turns into a hyperbole..... I guess it already is a hyperbole and it's too late to revert now  ;) Anyway, the question that I suggest asking each day is -

 "Who needs me to be on my A-game today?"

Bonus tip - ask this question separately for your personal and professional life.

On a related note, I believe there are 5 main ways to be in a relationship ( one could come up with many more of course, but these help with arriving at a distinction )

1) 'What's in it for me ?' mode - This is about being selfish
2) 'I dont care' mode - all about apathy
3) Pleasing mode - " I will do anything for you including sacrificing all my needs"
4) Controlling mode- "You do as I say right now"
5) Serving mode - This is the ultimate one to move towards

The distinction between pleasing and serving is valuable. Pleasing merely requires us to be nice. Serving instead requires us to be good ( A far more worthy ideal). When we serve, we aren't always nice; we might practice tough-love, or perhaps gently provide constructive feedback to someone.

Pleasing comes from a place a weakness ( ' I'll do anything. Hope you will like me'  ) while serving comes from a place of healthy power ( 'My needs are taken care of and I am here to make a difference' ).

The intention and the energy are totally different in the two cases.


And now I arrive at the moment, where I begin to wonder if I am getting a bit too didactic in the blog of late ;) Well, most of these are notes are for me to remember, so kind readers, please dont interpret these as me dishing out gyan to you :) 

2 comments:

Vidya said...

Amazing insight conveyed in a simple yet profound way

Karthik said...

Thanks for the kind comment Vidya !